Offer appears to still be live, but may end at any time. I decided to jump on this deal. We will save several hundred dollars and we get unlimited data which we didn’t have before. Some quick notes:
- Offer now expires 7/30. The original offer was extended by a month. If you order by 2pm EST, they will send the SIM cards that same day by UPS Next Day Air.
- Activation was quick and easy. The activation process was done 100% online, and it took under 20 minutes to swap SIM cards and port the existing numbers over.
- Some people have been successful switching from prepaid service, especially Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile Prepaid. Use the checker tool at sprint.com/1yearfree. Another tactic is to first move to T-Mobile’s cheapest prepaid $3/month plan ($10 minimum load) and then immediately port over to Sprint.
- The total cost for two SIMs was $2.99 each + $10 flat shipping = $15.98 + sales tax.
- To complete activation after you get the SIM cards, you will need your SIM card #, phone IMEI/MEID #, and current carrier’s account number and PIN.
- I created a Sprint account but no bill has been generated, so I don’t know the exact monthly bill amount yet. Various online reports I’ve seen are $3 to $4 total monthly bill per line including taxes.
- A big promo like this was smart as this was the only way I would switch to Sprint. In my area, they have the worst relative coverage and the slowest data speeds. I don’t stream a lot of 1080p video or download huge files on my phone, so the ~3 Mbps that I am getting is fine.
- This plan also comes with Sprint Global Roaming, which includes “data up to 2G speeds and text messaging in any of our 165+ Global Roaming countries at no charge, plus calling for just $0.20 a minute.”
Sprint has a limited-time promotion aimed at existing postpaid customers of Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. Sprint will give a free year of service to new customers who switch to Sprint and sign up on sprint.com/1yearfree by 7/30/17. Your free unlimited talk, text, and data service will run until 7/31/18. There is no requirement to continue service past that. Offer is valid for 1-5 lines. For example, if you currently pay $100 a month, this promotion is worth $1,200. If you pay $150 a month now, that’s $1,800 value.
The current promotion for Sprint Unlimited is $50 1st line, $40 2nd line, and $0 for lines 3-5. That’s $90 a year for 5 lines until 6/30/18. This new offer is for a free year of service, so even at that number it’s worth $1,080.
Important requirements and fine print:
- You must bring over a phone that is already unlocked and compatible with Sprint (so that you just need to switch SIM cards). If you have AT&T or T-Mobile you may need to call them up and ask to unlock your phone. See list below, but enter your MEID and phone number to check eligibility.
- You must own the phone(s) you’re bringing to Sprint. (Not on a lease plan.)
- You must still pay a small monthly fee: “standard $1.99 admin fee, $0.40 regulatory fee and other taxes and fees apply.”
- The $30 activation fee is waived as part of this promotion. The fee will appear on your first bill and a credit will appear within 2 bills.
- Requires a Sprint SIM card ($2.99 each + $10 shipping), paperless statements and Sprint AutoPay ($5/mo./line discount applied within two invoices). If AutoPay and eBill are removed, a $7.99/mo. charge will apply.
- This deal is not available in any stores, you must sign up online through the special website above.
- According to the terms, you must port-in from another postpaid carrier. Sprint requires a hard credit check on all new postpaid customers, including this offer.
- If you keep the service past 7/31/18, you will then start to pay $60/mo. for line 1, $40/mo. for line 2 & $30/mo./line for lines 3-5.
Details about the Sprint Unlimited Plan:
- Unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE data subject to the following limits below. Data deprioritization applies during congestion after 23 GB.
- Stream video at up to HD 1080p, music at up to 1.5mbps, gaming at up to 8mbps.
- 10GB of high-speed mobile hotspot data per line. Once your 10GB is used up, continue at up to 2G speeds (32 Kbps) for no additional cost, or purchase more on-network high-speed data for $15/1GB until the monthly billing cycle resets.
The following phones are eligible:
- Apple iPhone 5C (Verizon only)
- Apple iPhone 5S (Verizon only)
- Apple iPhone 6
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPhone 6S
- Apple iPhone 6S Plus
- Apple iPhone 7 (Verizon only)
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon only)
- Apple iPhone SE
- Google Nexus 5 (Verizon only)
- Google Nexus 5X
- Google Nexus 6
- Google Nexus 6P
- Google Pixel
- Google Pixel XL
- Motorola E4
- Motorola Z2 Play
- Motorola G4
- Motorola G4 Play
- Motorola G4 Plus
- Motorola G5 Plus
- Motorola X Pure Edition
- Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
- Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition
I’m definitely tempted by free (or at least somewhat close to it).
Too bad they don’t allow switching in from a prepaid carrier. I would try their online website to check eligibility, even if you are on a prepaid carrier some people are getting approval.